• ALWAYS remove your keys and lock your car doors when your vehicle is unattended. Never leave your car running unattended. Over 30% of reported stolen vehicles in this County during the winter months are unattended, running vehicles warming up.
• Park in a well-lit, busy area.
• Use an anti-theft device (Club®, j-bar or fuel pump ‘kill’ switch).
• Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle where they can be seen from the outside.
• If you see any suspicious person(s) or activity near your vehicle, call the police immediately.
• NEVER hide a spare key in the car. Thieves know where to look for it.
• Never leave an identification tag on your key ring. Thieves may use it to locate your home or car.
• Many thefts occur between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. If you don’t normally drive during those hours, you may wish to enroll in the Watch Your Car Program. A decal tells police to question anyone driving your vehicle during that period. Applications are available at the Greenbelt Police Department, 550 Crescent Road.
• Replace “T-shaped” door locks with straight locks.
• Engrave expensive accessories and major parts with your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
This message is provided as a public service by the Greenbelt Police Department
and the Public Safety Advisory Committee.